#YOUREVS | Elodie's testimony


Word to define my experience: wonderful

I have achieved my EVS in a small village who’s called Arrouquelas. It’s situated near Lisboa (at 80 km). At least, I stayed in Portugal for eight months for my EVS and I went back for nearly two month. It was the first time that I stayed in a foreign country for a long time. Indeed, I also traveled in the past in Canada or in Sweden but it was only for holidays. 

At the beginning, I didn’t know to speak portughese. I sayed just one word “obrigada”. Now, after my EVS , I can make a little conversation with people in portughese, listen radio, watch movies, read books and newspapers in Portughese. I discovered also a new culture; because it was the first time that I made a trip in Portugal. I enjoyed to leave in this small village. Indeed, portugheses are very nice, kind and patient. When you need some help, they help you. My coordinator (Alexandre) in my hosting organization was also so nice with me and others volunteers : when we needed of him, he was always present. He is introduced to me in his family and during my EVS I was considered as a member of his family. In the village also, I wasn’t looked as a foreigner, I was treated as one of them. I liked a lot also portughese food. I liked especially a portughese cake who’s called : “ pastel de nata”. I ate also a speciality from Lisboa : his name is “pastel de Belèm”. It was delicious. If some people has the occasion to visit Lisboa, my advice is to eat this speciality. At least, landscapes are very beautiful ( colors of houses, the forest, monuments, cities…).

My work during my EVS spent in tree institutions. The first institution it was an old people home who was situated near the place where I lived. I helped the staff to take care of old people. For example, to move pensioner across rooms or give them the snack. The second institution, it was a school which takes care of children with mentally disabled and others children. I made activities with these children; I played with them. The last institution, it was an organization which takes care of people with mentally disable. I was involved with them in these activities. (For example, I was doing needlework). I also helped the staff who’s working in this association to give snack or to prepare the organization of feasts.

I also worked in a garden who is situated in the same village where I leaved. I gave water to plants. In the middle of my EVS, for one month, I helped voluntary workers in another association to give food toward people who can’t buy food. At least, I worked in a place called “ Kelas Park” situated in Arrouquelas, with children. I participated in these activities with them. These activities were not in my field of studies; I have a master degree in law. It was almost totally news from me.

At the beginning, I was a little afraied because of my lack of my professional experience. Finally, everything are well happened. I could acknowledge news things. The staff in these institutions was also nice, kind and patient with us. I could discover news activities that I never did before; for example : needlework. Now, I took aware that I can do others jobs out of my field of studies.

I also liked very much to leave in a small village because first of all you are near the nature; ( you make hiking in the forest or hike bicycle in the forest too, so in my free time I walked in the forest.) lastly, people are more quiet, the way of life is more slowly that in a city. I also discovered news cultures and different food from other countries by participation in training courses and youth exchange. I cohabited also with others volunteers who comes from others countries (Estonia, Italia, Turkish, Lituania, Romania, Austria, République Tchèque), mine country of course (Francia) and we shared a lot of things together. For example, I tasted a fruit who comes from Turkish!!! It was so great!!!

I learned more things about others European countries. I’m more confident now for to looking another work, especially in European Union and in my second country, the Canada. I’m also more enthusiastic for to learn anothers languages and cultures. I want to learn more about the Portugal; and, at the moment I’m reading a book in portughese from a portughese author. ( This book is : “ Livro do desassossego” written by Fernando Pessoa.) I’m watching also portugheses movies. 

For me, this experience was very great even if, at the beginning of my stay, I was some problems with logistics ( for example : problems of communication because my family and some of my friends hasn’t Skype or social networks; administrative problems) or communication because in Arrouquelas people doesn’t speak English and French very well; and me I didn’t know to speak Portughese. I solved all these problems during my stay and now I like very much Portugal. I also met people from others countries in the world in my trip : at the airport… I met some people who comes from Cap Vert islands and now I’m more curious to learn more about this country and his culture. I’m very happy to realize this experience. I liked so much this experience and my hosting association, that, I went back in the summer to spend my holidays and participate in a Youth Exchange.

At least, I advise from all young people who didn’t make a EVS to do it, it’s very great!!!

[The photo is the office of my hosting organization “H20” who is situated near the house where volunteers are living during there voluntary. Behind, it’s the house of neighbour.]

0 comentários